As you take the route with SAP, it is important to consider significant factors before pursuing the path you are about to take. First, you need to identify your career goals. What do you want to achieve? As you intend to take your profession to the next level, it is necessary to know which program or specialization you will be exploring. Second, you then need to examine the skills and knowledge you currently have. Is your goal aligned with your expertise? If in some way you find you are still lacking, it can be an indication that you need to make some effort to improve said skills and expand your knowledge. Third, you also need to consider the qualifications listed by companies. What do businesses require their candidates? Being equipped with the information and a goal in mind will help you land yourself the job you need.
In this article, the SAP functional and technical modules will be outlined, along with some of the qualifications sought by companies, in order to help you know what SAP course will be the best for your career shift or advancement.
Below are some of the most noted functional modules of SAP as well as the fundamental courses under it:
1. FICO – FI (Financial Accounting) and CO (Controlling)
SAP FICO is one of the most extensively implemented SAP modules as it incorporates nearly all business processes among different industries. Originally released as independent modules, SAP FI and SAP CO have become so closely integrated that they are commonly referenced as one module.
The Financial Accounting module helps employees to handle documents and reports in a unified system that is directly implicated in any financial and business transactions. SAP FI works actively to define reporting requirements and the financial position of the company in real time.
If you are considering a shift career or would like to advance professionally, companies require certain qualifications for potential candidates such as:
- Familiar with the SAP FI module
- Skills on SAP Financial Accounting & Operations
- Worked on a full cycle implementation project for SAP FI module
It is then necessary to obtain knowledge about Financial Accounting and take courses under the SAP FI module in order to meet the requirements specified by target companies. The following are the fundamental courses for SAP FI:
TFIN50 – Financial Accounting I
- General Ledger Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable
- Basic of Customizing for Financial Accounting: organizational units, master data, document control, postings
- Payments, dunning, correspondence, and closing operations in Financial Accounting
TFIN52 – Financial Accounting II
- Implement various business processes and periodic tasks in Asset Accounting
- Asset Accounting: chart of depreciation, depreciation area, asset classes, asset transactions, etc.
- Reporting in Financial Accounting: accounts receivable accounting, accounts payable accounting, report variants, etc.
The Controlling module assists business operations in planning, reporting, and monitoring. SAP CO also provides tools for measuring and handling required financial reporting expenses, which help analyze real figures with projected data and build business strategies.
Similarly, the following are qualifications for candidates as required by companies today:
- Be SAP CO certified
- Skills on SAP CO Profitability Analysis
- Worked on a full cycle implementation project for SAP CO module
To meet these requirements, you should take courses which will provide necessary information about SAP CO. The basic courses for SAP CO are as follows:
TFIN20 – Management Accounting (CO) I
- Overhead Management controlling and product controlling structure
- Organization Units and Master Data of Overhead Management: Cost Elements, Cost Centers, Activity Types, etc.
- Validation, Substitution, Direct Activity Allocation, etc.
TFIN22 – Management Accounting (CO) II
- Configure functional issues and evaluate value flows and planning tools in profitability analysis
- Cost Object Controlling in a make to order environment of priced sales order inventory
- Data Structures of Profitability Accounting, Derivation of Profitability Segments, Valuation of Value Fields, etc.
2. PP – Production Planning
The Production Planning module is consists of master data, system configuration, and transactions together with specifically designed production planning and management tools.
As indicated specifically by companies, the following should be noted:
- Experience working with SAP Production Planning
- End to end project implementation in SAP PP module
- SAP ECC PP & Control for Discrete Industries
The basic courses below will help you learn SAP PP in which concepts of production planning and management as a whole are presented:
TSCM40 – Planning/Manufacturing I
- Communicate master data in terms of planning and manufacturing
- Creating and managing master data: material master, BOM, classes, characteristics, documents etc.
- ERP production planning: demand management, planning-based Material Requirement Planning (MRP), processing of MRP results etc.
TSCM42 – Planning/Manufacturing II
- Utilizing key functionalities for managing production orders (PP-SFC), repetitive manufacturing (PP-REM), process orders (PP-PI), etc.
- Order-controlled production with production orders: order categories and types outline, order structure/processing run, etc.
- Review of production with process orders, repetitive manufacturing, KANBAN, capacity planning
3. MM – Materials Management
The Materials Management module includes the required, processed, and manufactured materials in companies. SAP MM also facilitates procurement and inventory processes of businesses on a daily basis.
As mentioned, qualifications are sought by companies in their candidate are as follows:
- Knowledge and experience in handling SAP-Purchasing (MM-PO)
- Experience in handling implementation or functional support of SAP MM projects
- End to end project implementation in SAP MM module
Having the right skills and knowledge on the concept of manufacturing, procurement, and inventory will be a great advantage as you shift careers or plan to be an SAP expert. Below are the courses for SAP MM:
TSCM50 – SAP ERP Procurement Academy Part I
- Procurement and inventory management functions
- Procurement Processes, Master Data, Stock Material Procurement, Consumable Material Procurement, External Services Procurement
- Reporting and Analytics, Consumption-Based Planning, The Planning Run, Sources of Supply and Conditions, etc.
TSCM52 – SAP ERP Procurement Academy Part II
- Prepare and perform a physical inventory of warehouse stock and configure document types
- Covering Introduction to Inventory Management, Goods Receipts (GRs), Stock Transfers and Transfer Postings, Goods Issues (GIs)
- Goods Issues (GIs), Special Forms of Procurement and Special Stocks, Physical Inventory, Analyses in Inventory Management, etc.
4. SD – Sales and Distribution
The Sales and Distribution module comprises of business processes for product sales, shipping, and billing. SAP SD manages all types of transactions including inquiries, proposals, and quotations. Similarly, SAP SD is closely integrated with SAP MM and PP modules.
To progress your profession, meeting the following requirements will make you more marketable to companies:
- Experience in SAP SD, including at least two end to end in SD module
- Experience in implementation and support of SAP SD
- SD experience on core SD in order management, pricing, shipping, invoice
Having the expertise in product sales, order management, transactions and the like will be of great strength when you advance professionally. Below are the key courses for SAP SD:
TSCM60 – Order Fulfillment I
- Key business operations and customizing settings covered in the sales and distribution process
- For Sales: producing sales orders, sales document types, item categories, schedule line categories, etc.
- For the Delivery process: controlling outbound deliveries, creating and processing deliveries, picking, packaging, goods issue
TSCM62 – Order Fulfillment II
- Implement functions and Customizing settings in pricing and billing
- Stating condition techniques for determining and managing of rates, surcharges and discounts
- Rebate processing, controlling billing documents, billing plans, down payments, etc.
Below are some of the most noted technical modules of SAP as well as the fundamental courses under it:
1. ABAP – Advanced Business Application Programming
One of the major programming modules, SAP ABAP is a 4th generation programming language used to build the SAP R/3 program and in the SAP system for company-specific design and configuration.
In today’s competitive field of information technology, having an extensive knowledge in programming language, specifically in ABAP, is necessary especially when companies require the following:
- Experience in SAP ABAP development
- 1 full cycle implementation in SAP ABAP
- ABAP development of requested programming, testing, and debugging functions related to the implementation of SAP modules
The following courses will help you achieve the right knowledge and skills for SAP ABAP—from the basic concept up to the technical aspect:
TAW10 – ABAP Workbench Fundamentals
- SAP NetWeaver Application Server fundamentals: SAP Systems and SAP Applications Portfolio, SAPGUI and navigation in AS ABAP systems, etc.
- ABAP Workbench Foundations: ABAP program processing, ABAP Workbench tools, ABAP language basics, Open SQL, etc.
- ABAP Dictionary: Domains, data elements, structures, transparent tables, pool tables, cluster tables, etc.
TAW11E – ABAP Details
- ABAP Language Foundation and Evolution: Moving from Statements to Expressions and Functions, Using Data Type and Data objects, etc.
- ABAP Open SQL: Using the Features of the New Open SQL Syntax, Explaining Additional Techniques for Reading from Multiple Database Tables
- Analysis and Testing: Defining and Activating Checkpoints, Using the ABAP Trace, SQL Trace, SQL Monitor
2. SAP NetWeaver
SAP NetWeaver is an open application server platform predominantly utilized by SAP developers, administrators, and consultants. It also enables companies to integrate data and business processes of various sources to a unified SAP environment.
In a similar manner, the following requirements are what companies are actually looking for a potential candidate:
- Knowledge and experience in SAP NetWeaver
- Knowledge and experience in Databases
- SAP Fiori/UI% & Responsive Design Architecture
Through the basic courses of SAP NetWeaver, you can obtain significant advantage among role shifter and professionals:
TADM10 – Technical Implementation and Operation I for SAP S/4HANA and SAP Business Suite
- Using different front-end tools for SAP system navigation and understanding the concept of the kernel processes
- Managing users and authorizations and performing technical configuration of SAP systems
- Including Navigation, SAP System Kernel, Software Development, User Administration, SAP Fiori Fundamentals, etc.
TADM12 – Technical Implementation and Operation II for SAP S/4HANA and SAP Business Suite
- Configuring Transport Management System (TMS) and applying SAP software logistics (ABAP) concepts and tools
- Setting Up an SAP System Landscape, Creating and Exporting Transport Requests, Importing Transport Requests
- Enhanced Change and Transport System (CTS+), Client Tools, Introduction into Application Lifecycle Management, etc.
Gaining significant expertise and skills regarding the modules listed, whether functional or technical, will allow you to determine business-related problems which will ultimately help you identify the right solution. Be a qualified specialist by acquiring an SAP certification and become a highly sought-after candidate in today’s vast and competitive market today.
About the author:
Eliza Tarlac is a content writer for Marketing. She is a graduate of Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude, major in English Language Studies from the University of Santo Tomas. As a writer, she is passionate in technical, academic, and creative writing where she strives to transform ideas and concepts to help businesses deliver their message and establish their brand.